Synthetic roofing is a relatively new offering in our industry. This category of material refers to manufactured products that mimic the look of more traditional shingles, but the main components are often made of recycled plastics and/or rubber. Synthetic shingles can be made to look like slate, clay tile, wood shake and more.
- Lightweight and can be installed over existing roof deck with little modifications
- Manufacturers claim durability, although since synthetic roofing has only been around since the mid-90's, it's difficult to gather a large sample of roofs to actually measure the durability in real-world conditions
- Long warranties (up to 50 years)
- Relatively new product into the industry
- Many roofing contractors are not familiar with the installation process because it's not a high volume product
- Installation process can be more costly